Coddled Eggs

Coddled Eggs

Thursday 21 December 2017


Lavender Season



A recent trip to the lavender farm down our road saw me arrive home ready to plant a new lavender border.  I have always loved Lavender borders .  I love how the bee's are attracted to the lavender plant.   I love the antiseptic smell of lavender and I love how a gift of sprigs, tied with a simple piece of ribbon can cheer someones day.  There is so much about lavender to love.

How appropriate that these old disused bee hives are now planter boxes ..I am going to take this idea home with me. I have a few old hives that are begging to be planted out.



             The lavender farm serve lovely lavender and herbal teas . It is such a lovely place to visit.







I chose to plant Lavandula Stoechas "'Regal Splendour" , Spanish lavender or  sometimes referred to as topped lavender probably because of the mop top which I think is called inflorescence.
My car was full to the roof. I must have looked a sight to anyone driving toward me as I drove home .





The man of the YARD cleared a new space for another acre of garden so come on bee's I am hoping this new garden will attract you.






I hope we will have enough water just to get these wee girls started ,lavender are pretty forgiving in dry conditions so I am hoping after a good start they will be as generous as my other older plants.

Which brings me back to the established plants and time to harvest.


Evening seems to be the best time for me to harvest the lavender...The fading light and cool temperature make it so much easier to gather these fragrant stems.
Today i managed to buy a very large basket from our local recycle centre.The perfect size for lavender.

   I  enjoy this job, it is relaxing snipping away,getting wafts of soft sweet tangy spicy lulling scents







                                                                                           The rugosa rose ( Japanese Rose) is very fragrant  standing behind me as I snip away. It has almost finished it's first flowering.  I love this rose because it is so hardy and very resistant to disease. Even the most neglectful gardener would have success with a rugosa rose.


 I can't believe I got this entire basket full of sprigs .



        The house sure will smell of lavender a sharp camphor smell that is suppose to be soporific.


Lavender
Lavandula vera

Culpeper believed that, “Mercury owns the herb, and it carries its effects very potently.” A mere two or three drops of lavender oil could cure “either inward or outward griefs.” Culpeper recommended lavender oil, as a drink or applied to the temples or nostrils, against “the griefs and pains of the head and brains that proceed of a cold cause, as the Apoplexy, Falling-sickness, the drowsie or sluggish malady, Cramps, Convulsions, Palsies, and often faintings.”


My friend Mary  has family down the road ,three houses away once you pass our new acres . 
Mary and I caught up when I was down in my old hometown. We will probably catch up again whilst she visits her family here, just down our road.
Mary gave me a beautiful book called "Lavender and Old Lace" by Myrtle Reed.
It's a gorgeous old book with a real sheen to the cover.


                                                                                                              I love how it still has the borrower card in the back .



Another lovely old book to add to my collection.  I am looking forward to finding some of Myrtles other books ...... Thank you Mary.




“The heart's seasons seldom coincide with the calendar. Who among us has not been made desolate beyond all words upon some golden day when the little creatures of the air and meadow were life incarnate, from sheer joy of living? Who among us has not come home, singing, when the streets were almost impassable with snow, or met a friend with a happy, smiling face, in the midst of a pouring rain?” 
― Myrtle ReedOld Rose and Silver









No comments :

Post a Comment