Coddled Eggs

Coddled Eggs

Saturday 20 February 2016

..............And the rain came down............

Oh rapturous joy....
The heavens opened up and down poured the warm wet wet rain. It was intoxicating.

The earth where the fallen  gum tree leaves lay, gave off the headiest  fragrance of all .
Eucalyptus has never smelled so good............. That rain made the soil around me smell like warm  honey and milk.
The earth under the broom gave off a sweet coconut perfume whilst the grass smelled of marshmallow and roasted nut.

                                           "Oh I love the rainy nights" Eddie Rabbit

I love the smell after rain.
The smell actually has a name. It's called "petrichor," from the Greek words "petra," meaning "stone," and "ichor," which refers to the fluid that flows like blood in the veins of the gods. 

The earth at my feet smelled alive again.
I felt alive again.
Like a demented woman I ran around outside clearing the drains and filling buckets with delicious rain water.
It was soft and warm on my body drenching my dress .

With only but a towel on my head I emptied buckets on the parched areas of grass and disconnected spouting and made tunnels to flow much needed water to struggling seedling trees.


and when the rain stopped the thunder rubbled and the lightning flashed and all the colours magnified ...


The plants held on to every drop....

The fruit puffed up and lost that wrinkled look , It was like rejuvenated skin ...



I could even cope with the weight of the rain on the plants....

It was still 24 degrees celsius so certainly was not cold.
I ran and skipped until I was so wet even the towel on my head was soaked.I must have looked a sight.
The neighbour came out for a look and a giggle.
Pure joy twas that rain.

'What's the Mongolian doing now" Lindy lamb



and no better time to get out the special summer cookbooks for some rainy day cooking....
Whoops.. gave one to my daughter and one to her friend Aunty Jones .....


I'm thinking pies for picnics containing stew made with big chunks of angus beef and apricots and red onion and carrots. 

Hold on ...It is still Summer and in a day it will be scorching 38 degrees again ...

Thank you Rain Gods....
Thank you for the rain and the days to enjoy it....




No comments :

Post a Comment