Coddled Eggs

Coddled Eggs

Tuesday 23 June 2015

      .......look who's at the door .........



You can imagine our surprise when the tap at the garage door was a white heron...










Poor wee guy .He is more then likely hungry . I have left out sugar water these last few days for the ring eyes ,wax eyes , silver eyes.
Mind you this tit bit of info from the local Department of conservation page  http://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/white-heron-kotuku/  made me wonder if I am doing the right thing attracting so many silver eyes to the garden.

IN REGARDS TO THE HERON
  • They feed mostly on small fish (such as whitebait), eels, frogs, shrimp, aquatic insects, mice and small birds (such as silvereyes). They may grab prey with their sharp, dagger-like beak.

I did ring the department just to let them know about our visitor and apparently there was one in Hawea too less the 10 km away. near the wetlands....UMMMMM I never knew there was a wetlands so close by .

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/wanaka-area/things-to-do/butterfields-wetland-walk/

I can see the grand children and I are in for a treat and a bit of a walk very soon....

Many years ago my Grandmother sent a parcel from Holland and in it was a diary .


The diary was illustrated by Marjolein Bastin. I so love her beautiful paintings of birds.






I now have several of her books and a couple of calendars I  bought whilst I was in Holland.

I best go now and see if our wee friend is still here.....













No comments :

Post a Comment